What is Music Therapy?
Defined by the American Music Therapy Association, "Music Therapy is the clinical and evidenced-based use of music interventions to accomplish individualized goals within a therapeutic relationship by a credentialed professional who has completed an approved music therapy program." (AMTA)
In other words, music is the tool in the therapy. It is the filter in which the interventions flow through. For example, do you still sing the alphabet song when you are flipping through your address book?
Why does Music Therapy work?
• Music is powerful and non-threatening
• Enhances the quality of life
• Music Therapy creates a positive environment where interventions are success orientated.
• Music is a universal language.
Who can benefit from Music Therapy?
Music Therapy can be practiced in many different settings including schools, hospitals, nursing homes, and in-home visits. Clientele can vary from neo-natal and pre-school to middle age and geriatrics. Interventions are developed to focus on each individual need.
• Music Therapy is a related service, which can be provided under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)
• Music Therapy can assist a child with special needs achieve educational goals identified by his or her IEP team.
• Music Therapy interventions can address development in a child's cognitive, behavioral, physical, emotional and social skills.
• Music Therapy can promote attention and motivation to increase participation in other educational settings.
Music Therapy and young children
• Music can stimulate all of the senses, including hearing, seeing, movement and touch, enhancing many developmental skills and milestones.
• At a young age, play is the most developmental activity a child can participate in. Music Therapy can provide a medium, which promotes play naturally.
• Music encourages socialization, self-expression, communication and motor development.
• Music Therapy interventions focus on experiencing feelings and issues such as self-esteem and personal insight.
• Positive changes in mood and emotions
• Enhancing self awareness
• Self expression through verbal and non-verbal communications
• Learning coping and relaxation skills
• Appropriate peer interactions
• Improving appropriate problem solving skills.
• Interventions are developed to maintain or improve physical, psychological, cognitive and or social functioning.
• Music Therapy can increase memory recall
• Promotes positive mood and emotional states
• Success orientated and positive environments are provided for a sense of control over one's life circumstances
• Anxiety and stress reduction
• Enhance social interactions with peers and staff
• Promotes emotional intimacy with family members who participate in a musical experience.
Music Therapy Pricing
30 minute session: $40.00
45 minute session: $60.00
60 minute session: $75.00